torstai 4. joulukuuta 2014

Winter feelings


Hello blogging world

Few more weeks and it's Christmas. Are you exited?
Our Noki - boy (above) shore will be happy because he get's to eat some reindeer meat.

Creative Tuesday theme was to choose favorite art piece created this year. 
I was between two and ended up with this painting that I created in the summer.

"Vellamo and her watery cattle"

I was very inspired by Finnish  mythology. Vellamo is Finnish water goddess.
She is said to be tall and beautiful woman.
Respected by fishermen who prayed her for good fishing luck. Vellamo has power to raise and stop winds. She can also control storms and waves.
Vellamo has magical cows that live on underwater fields. Sometimes during the morning mist she takes her cattle above the surface to eat water hay.

Her name comes from Finnish word "velloa" which means "the movement of water".

I've done lot's of research about Finnish mythology this year and created lot's of art inspired by it and hope to continue that next year.
 Especially now since I might be moving abroad next year this theme feel very important to me.

In this particular painting I wanted to create very misty  morning to the background I was very pleased how it came out.


"Vellamo and her watery cattle"
(c) Niina Niskanen
watercolors

This year I painted some of the holiday cards.
Both these designs are available as greeting cards here.

"Reindeers in the night"
(c) Niina Niskanen
watercolors and acrylics

 "Snowflake shoe"
(c) Niina Niskanen
watercolors and acrylics & glitter


Love and light
Niina

8 kommenttia:

  1. your favourite piece is beautiful as are your Christmas cards! Happy CT!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Beautiful work I especially like Vellamo and her cattle a lovely Christmas card.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Niina, I'm so glad you explained this mythology as otherwise I would have have no idea about the cows and on fields under the sea, no less. I can think of a few of yours for CT you could have referenced as well, also mythology related. Well done. Looks like you've had a great year and I've loved having you be a part of our C.T. co-op. Looking forward to seeing you in the new year, through lovely mists, snow and all! Thank you.

    BTw, where are you moving to abroad? :)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Michael. It was really hard to choose just one :) I do love create artworks based on Finnish mythology. I'm applying to universities to Uk to continue my illustrating studies. I should get results around Easter. Exiting. Happy Holidays to you.

      Poista
  4. A beautiful favourite piece Niina, and such a lovely story of Finnish mythology as well. Good for you in doing your own Christmas cards, they are beautiful. Good luck with your results, we have some great Universities in the UK.

    VastaaPoista
  5. This piece is beautiful, and what a cool and interesting story! I would never have thought of the cows going through water, but they look so beautiful and peaceful and natural there. And your watercolors are great. Niina, I must ask, what unis in the UK are you looking at? I am from the States/went to school in New York, but I did a six month study abroad program at Goldsmith's College (that's in Southeast London in the neighborhood of New Cross). Did you apply there? That's one good school for art and illustration, and there are a ton more of course. Offhand I've heard great things about the Royal College of Art, Saint Marteen's, I think there may even be another one in Chelsea. I'd love to hear more of where you applied! London is my favorite city, and the UK I really love in general, so I'd love to know where you might go and if I can at all give any helpful hints. Anyway, good luck! Have a great holiday season! Lots of happy C.T. wishes to you-- Donna

    VastaaPoista
  6. I like the background a lot, it really adds to the piece and sets a mood, I like all the shades of blue. I don't know anything about Finnish mythology but I think the story of Vellamo is quite interesting & certaintly a good story to create from.

    hope you have a great day.

    VastaaPoista
  7. Your creations are so very stunning. Your use of blues in these are just lovely. Making your own cards is a great way to express your talent.

    VastaaPoista