perjantai 28. marraskuuta 2014

December dreams



Hello blogging world :)

Where does all the time goes. Next week it's already December.
I've been a busy bee lately. 
Working, teaching, illustrating, making applications to schools..

Weather is far from wintery.
It's dark 24/7 and very rainy. I don't like it one bit.
When you live in such northern part of the world as I you can see the affects of the climate change.

 We didn't have any snow in December 2013 (it started to snow in the new year's eve)
I really hope we get snow soon. Black Christmas is very depressing.

Anyways.. creative tuesday challenge- theme this time is "December dreams". My dream right now is to get some snow.

Here is little cat that I painted. She is amazed by the snow and ice.

 "Hello there / December dreams"
(c) Niina Niskanen
watercolors 

I usually craft all holiday cards myself but this year I decided to paint some of them. I don't post them all here now since I don't want to ruin suprises.

Here is one I made for a person who likes my "fantasy paintings"

"Snow in the sea"
(c) Niina Niskanen
watercolors and felt tipped pen

Inspiration Avenue this weeks theme is to create artworks inspired by favorite artists. I have many favorite artists. Now since I'm applying to artschools to continue my illustrating studies I thought to share some sketches that were inspired by one of my favorite Finnish illustrator; Marjaliisa Pitkäranta (1941 - 2003)

I love detailed style. I have a big collection of her postcards. There is even foundation based for her illustrations. My childhood favorite children's books were illustrated by her.


(c) Marjaliisa Pitkäranta

(c) Marjaliisa Pitkäranta


Here are some of my "gnome" sketches. I guess my drawing style has some mlp- influence.

These sketches are for a story that my sister has written.
I hope we get to publish those stories in a book someday.

"Jape - sketches"
(c) Niina Niskanen
graphite

Submitting also to Paint Party Friday

That's all for now
Thanks for stopping by
Niina


24 kommenttia:

  1. smashing works and love your kitty. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    VastaaPoista
  2. Oh, Nina, I love your little gnomes!! I also love the fantasy art style - Tasha Tudor and Kinuko Craft are some of my favorite artists known for their gentle beings.

    http://dia-creationstation.blogspot.com/2014/11/featured-artist-musings.html

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Dia. Oh.. I adore paintings of Kinuko Craft <3 on more artist on my favorite list.

      Poista
  3. beautiful illustrations!
    happy PPF :)

    VastaaPoista
  4. Love your illustrations especially the kitty. This was a beautiful visit! Thank you and Happy and belated PPF

    VastaaPoista
  5. What a delightful post Niina, with so many beautiful pieces of art
    Your kitten is so cute and I love the background on the 'Snow in the Sea'
    Did you use salt for that effect?
    Your illustrations are great too... good luck for getting them published.
    Happy belated PPF to you

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Neesie. Yes I used salt for the background. I love the effects it makes :)

      Poista
  6. Niina, that kitty cat one is very darling and kind of different a bit in style but nevertheless, just as good. Love it. A cute concept too for Dreams of December. Yes, yes, if you've got to deal with it being so dark, i do hope that you at least get some snow with that cold! I never had that growing up but int he last few years, the opposite--it's getting more and more snowy! now, almost every year it snows. Love it.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Michael. We did get some snow here fortunately. I hope weather get's more cold and we can get more. I love it when it snows :)

      Poista
  7. That watercolor cat is just stunning. Love the feel of it ~ the reflection..

    VastaaPoista
  8. Nina, just love your kitten illustration.... beautiful

    VastaaPoista
  9. Such a sweet little kitten with his Christmas bell. Lovely watercolour painting Niina! Love your gnome sketches as well.

    VastaaPoista
  10. do cats like the cold? doesn't matter, your CT piece is a wonderful piece, quite adorable. since I'm visiting this a week after you've posted this, christmas is over so I won't wish you a merry christmas, but I wish you a wonderful new year.

    have a great day.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Lissa. Merry Christmas and inspirational new year for you too :)

      Poista
  11. I love the kitty! Beautiful use of gray, blue, and vibrant green with the plants. Your work is always beautiful and I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Not as dark as where you are, but, I always go to New York for Christmas so I feel your pain about it being dark, so dark, and early at that, at wintertime. Hugs <3

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you so much. New York must be great at Christmas I imagine:) Fortunately weather has getting colder lately and we got some snow here. Merry Christmas for you too :)

      Poista
  12. Nina, your little kitten with the Christmas bell and ribbon around its neck is oh so cute! Very precious and well done! I hope we get snow here as well, for Christmas. Doesn't quite feel so much like it without snow! :)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Alexandra. Weather is getting colder here so we still might get som e more snow here:) Merry Christmas for you and happy new year.

      Poista