lauantai 16. elokuuta 2014

Featured artist of August: Memory Howell



Hello blogging friends :)

It is time for the featured artist interview of August. This time our featured artist is fairy artist Memory Howell.
I must say I just adore the color and amount of details Memory puts in each of her paintings.
Memory also shares one of her fairy stories with us.
.................................................................................

Tell us about yourself, who you are and what kind of artist you are?

I'm a self taught fantasy and fairy artist and story teller of the fay since 2010. I am mixed media artist and 98 %  of my art is done in watercolor and rest in ink and colored pencils. I started sharing my art on Facebook and started a fairy page on there called "Fairies of Memory". I was born and raised in Lafayette, Indiana then spent fifteen years in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and now reside in Columbus, Ohio area.


How did you start your artist career?

On Facebook I was offered several contracts and was honored to be seen in three different magazines trough Facebook. I now have my art on craft stamps, cakes, cloths, psp tubes, art sites, blogs, interviews and various merchandise. Facebook can be a wonderful tool for artist but read your contracts as well, ask questions of other artists and do your homework before signing.


What are the things that inspire you? Do you have message in your art?

Of all things that inspire me I would say Nature. The trees, mushrooms, fiddle ferns, cobwebs, stars, moon, wooded paths, all of nature calls the imagination to be drawn and incorporated in to the Fairy World of drawing and story writing. A rose petal can become a fairy hat, a little leaf and vine can be fairy shoe, dandelions can become dandelion tea, dewdrops can grace a fairy gown ect. The ideas are limitless with nature as your inspiration. 

I do have a message in my art and stories that is that I hope to use the fairies to spread love and kindness to others.


Any advice for starting artists?

I would say to practice drawing every day. Pick a subject that you love to sketch, make it yours, and be known for your style. Pick good quality art materials, it makes a big difference in your work. Be vigilant in accepting contracts, join other art groups to pick up tips and make friends with other artists.

I use Holbein watercolors and archival micron ink pens on 140lb. cold press paper but when I can find it I prefer 200lb. Never listen to negative nellies that your art isn't good, listen to your heart and draw, draw, draw. If you had seen my first fairy you would have died laughing.


If you could be any fantasy character what would you like to be?

I would absolutely want to be a fairy. I could dance on stars, have a pouch of fairy dust, spread magic, have a magical tree house, fly up and visit the moon, sip dandelion tea on a mushroom and talk to birds and other animals. Well, the things I could do as a fairy would be magical and let's not forget the fairy wings, how beautiful they are and the places they could take me.... to be a fairy would be lifetime magic. 

Where can we find your works?

Sadly at this time I have no website to lists as it is down for repairs. However you can always find my art and stories on my "Fairies of Memory" Facebook page.

My other Facebook page is "Everything Fairy"

My art can be found on these magazines too:
Fairy World Magazine
Beyond Fantasy Magazine
Angels and Fairies Magazine

I am show on deviant art, Art Collaboration, The Fairy Poet, HP Toy, Artist Corner, Cruzines, etc..and other merchandise too.



One of Memory's stories:
                                                                                   

Twilight in the woods of enchantment

The crickets dressed in brown and green, tune their fiddles preparing to sing, while the airy twilight fairies dance on spider web paths. tilting toe and gathering skirts they dance and twirl in the last remaining sunbeams of pearl. Ladybugs bow and smile with glee , happy to share a dance with thee. Evening shadows and glimmering lights gather  in tree boughs here and there as twilights hour gathers close, the fairies love this time the most.   by Memory Howell ©
....................................................................

Thank you so much for sharing your Fairy art and stories Memory. They shore bring happiness and inspirations to all the viewers and readers.

Would you like to read more featured fantasy artists interviews?

Here are links to the past interviews:

Featured artist of July: Aida Castellano

Featured artist of June: Renee Lavoie

Featured artist of May: Janna Prosvirina

Featured artist of April: Mayumi Ogihara

Featured artist of March: Gabriella Szabo



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti