keskiviikko 21. marraskuuta 2012

Winter Fairies and Creative Tuesday Starry Night


Hey To All My Blogging Friends!

I hope everyone are doing good. Im bit exhausted. I've been on three fleaymarkets today.
I found some christmasgifts so it's all good.

It was again time to take part on http://www.creativetuesdays.blogspot.com . I missed the last challenge. I had so many school things piling up I had to focus on them. Now Im back.
This time theme was literally made for me... "Starry Night".

Actually both on my latest paintings fit for the theme. One with the fox has a legend behind it.
I've lived most of my life in northern Finland. It is enough north to get snow on winter (getting more rare every year sadly) but it's not enough north to see Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis). 

Anyways... There is an old legend in Lapland that when the firefox runs trough the snow and waves his/her tail that is how the northern lights are born.

As a child I was very fortunate to travel even more north to meet my grandparents. I remember sitting on the snow and watching all those colors in the sky.



Here is "Winterbringer". I made this painting for a contest in deviantart. .http://www.rosydream.deviantart.com

Snowflakes come to the earth when the Snowfairy sprinkles her beautiful wings:)



        

I've been very much into Mandalas lately. This on I call "RuneMandala".

I was inspired by the Edda- poems and the Norse mythlogy

Grey wolf of the North
Squirrel of the East
Cow of the South
Wildboar of the West

As you can see it   is a compass also a wheel of the year.
Each rune fits for the specific sabbat.



Some mood photos for the End.

Look I knitted a Doll!
Im gonna make her some more clothes and accesories too!


My painting table with some lights. Brushes and a cup of tea. If you wonder the tootbrush
that's the best way to make some snowy scenes.

Thank you for visiting
May fairies sparkle your day!

Niina



12 kommenttia:

  1. I love your fox with his wonderful tail and the sky with all the colour. Such fantastic brushwork. A really lovely painting with depth of feeling.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Oh how very interesting. Loved all the narrative and explanation of your work. Love all of it...including you cute little doll.

    VastaaPoista
  3. This is very cool. Love the variety you brought here. The initial piece is fantastic, love the colors and the swirling, motion effect produced in the setting. Very cool work with the Eddas, great touch including the Runes as well. Big fan of Norse Myth and this was nicely done. Thanks

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you for your comment Fred. Mythology is a very good source of inspiration. I also love norse, slavic and ancient finnish myths. They have different gods and goddesses and stories but sometimes you can find similarities with all of them. Finns have also used runes for divination and good fortune but not as much as the norse (after all in Edda-poetry Odin is the ruler of the runes). Viking culture had effects on finnish history also

      Poista
  4. love your starry night paintings! How lucky for you to have seen the Northern Lights!

    VastaaPoista
  5. OH I really like that painting and how I woudl love to go to Norway. My mother's been there and loved it. Yes, long dark cold days at times, I'm sure. Lovely interpretation, Nina. So glad you made it this time around. Thank you.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment. I have to correct you a bit Im not from Norway I live in Finland. Well.. it's dark in both countries this time of the year.

      Poista
  6. What a lovely collection of work and a great legend. Great job on your doll!

    VastaaPoista
  7. What great paintings! love the fox one. I have to say I've always found the idea of living in Scandinavia magical and almost a bit frightening!! so cold and dark (especially dark!!) this time of year... have a great winter anyhow!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Alicia. Don't be frightened of Skandinavia.. winter is very dark and cold but there are so many beautiful things to see and do. Actually since there is snow in the ground it gives much light to the darkness.

      Poista
  8. Kirjoittaja on poistanut tämän kommentin.

    VastaaPoista
  9. Lovely paintings again! I like the fox very much as I like forest animals. Yes, it was nice to meet you! Nice of you that you told me who you are :

    VastaaPoista